Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
PO Box 999
Richland, WA 99352
Jeff Dagle joined Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) in 1989 and currently manages several projects in the areas of transmission reliability and control system security for the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) Office of Electricity Delivery and Energy Reliability, U.S. Department of Homeland Security, and other clients. Mr. Dagle is a Senior Member of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers and is a licensed Professional Engineer in the State of Washington. Significant career highlights include receiving the 2001 Tri-City Engineer of the Year award from the Washington Society of Professional Engineers, leading the data requests and management task for the August 14, 2003, Northeast Blackout Investigation Task Force, briefing President George Bush and Secretary Samuel Bodman on electric power grid research initiatives underway at PNNL in March 2005, supporting the DOE Infrastructure Security and Energy Restoration Division with onsite assessments in New Orleans following Hurricane Katrina in fall 2005, receiving two patents, receiving a Federal Laboratory Consortium for Technology Transfer (FLC) Award in 2007, and receiving an R&D 100 Award in 2008 for the Grid Friendlyâ„˘ Appliance Controller technology.
- Electric power reliability and security
Education and Credentials
- MSEE Washington State University, 1994
- BSEE Washington State University, 1989
- Kirkham H, and JE Dagle. 2014. "Synchronous Phasor-like Measurements." In IEEE PES Innovative Smart Grid Technologies Conference (ISGT 2014), February 19-22, 2014, Washington DC, pp. 1-5. IEEE, Piscataway, NJ. doi:10.1109/ISGT.2014.6816510
- Kalsi K, W Zhang, J Lian, LD Marinovici, C Moya, and JE Dagle. 2013. Distributed Smart Grid Asset Control Strategies for Providing Ancillary Services . PNNL-22875, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Bobba RB, JE Dagle, E Heine, H Khurana, WH Sanders, P Sauer, and T Yardley. 2012. "Enhancing Grid Measurements: Wide Area Measurement Systems, NASPInet, and Security." IEEE Power & Energy Magazine 10(1):67-73. doi:10.1109/MPE.2011.943133
- Donnelly M, DJ Trudnowski, S Mattix, and JE Dagle. 2012. Autonomous Demand Response for Primary Frequency Regulation. PNNL-21152, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Ma J, YV Makarov, R Diao, PV Etingov, JE Dagle, and EE De Tuglie. 2012. "The Characteristic Ellipsoid Methodology and Its Application in Power Systems." IEEE Transactions on Power Systems 27(4):2206-2214. doi:10.1109/TPWRS.2012.2195232
- Coles GA, SD Unwin, GM Holter, RB Bass, and JE Dagle. 2011. "Defining resilience within a risk-informed assessment framework." International Journal of Risk Assessment and Management 15(2/3):171-185. doi:10.1504/IJRAM.2011.042115
- Diao R, Z Huang, N Zhou, Y Chen, FK Tuffner, JC Fuller, S Jin, and JE Dagle. 2011. "Deriving Optimal Operational Rules for Mitigating Inter-area Oscillations." In IEEE/PES Power Systems Conference & Exposition (PSCE 2011), March 20-23, 2011, Phoenix, Arizona. Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Piscataway, NJ. doi:10.1109/PSCE.2011.5772564
- Kirkham H, YV Makarov, JE Dagle, JG DeSteese, MA Elizondo, and R Diao. 2011. Geomagnetic Storms and Long-Term Impacts on Power Systems. PNNL-21033, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Ma J, R Diao, YV Makarov, PV Etingov, and JE Dagle. 2011. "Event Classification and Identification Based on the Characteristic Ellipsoid of Phasor Measurement." In Proceedings of the 43rd North American Power Symposium (NAPS 2011), August 4-6, 2011, Boston, Massachusetts. IEEE, Piscataway, NJ. doi:10.1109/NAPS.2011.6024872
- Huang Z, N Zhou, FK Tuffner, Y Chen, DJ Trudnowski, R Diao, JC Fuller, WA Mittelstadt, JF Hauer, and JE Dagle. 2010. MANGO – Modal Analysis for Grid Operation: A Method for Damping Improvement through Operating Point Adjustment. PNNL-19890, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Huang Z, N Zhou, FK Tuffner, Y Chen, DJ Trudnowski, W Mittelstadt, JF Hauer, and JE Dagle. 2010. "Improving Small Signal Stability through Operating Point Adjustment." In Proceedings of the 2010 IEEE Power and Energy Society General Meeting. Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Piscataway, NJ. doi:10.1109/PES.2010.5589519
- Ma J, R Diao, YV Makarov, PV Etingov, N Zhou, and JE Dagle. 2010. "Building Decision Trees for Characteristic Ellipsoid Method to Monitor Power System Transient Behaviors." In 2010 IEEE Power and Energy Society General Meeting. IEEE, Piscataway, NJ. doi:10.1109/PES.2010.5590036
- Huang Z, and JE Dagle. 2008. "SynchroPhasor Measurements: System Architecture and Performance Evaluation in Supporting Wide-Area Applications." In 2008 IEEE Power Engineering Society General Meeting - Conversion and Delivery of Electrical Energy in the 21st Century. IEEE , Piscataway, NJ. doi:10.1109/PES.2008.4596890
- Craig PA, Jr, J Mortensen, and JE Dagle. 2008. Metrics for the National SCADA Test Bed Program. PNNL-18031, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.
- Widergren SE, Z Huang, and JE Dagle. 2007. "Electric System-wide Measurements: North American Directions." In Proceedings of the 40th Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences - 2007, p. 120. IEEE , Piscataway, NJ. doi:10.1109/HICSS.2007.198
- Dagle JE. 2006. ""Partial Panel" Operator Training: Advanced Simulator Training to Enhance Situational Awareness in Off-Normal Situations." In IEEE Power Engineering Society 2006 General Meeting, pp. 2385-2386. Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers, Inc, Piscataway, NJ. doi:10.1109/PES.2006.1709229
- Dagle JE. 2006. "Postmortem analysis of power grid blackouts - The role of measurement systems." IEEE Power & Energy Magazine 4(5):30-35.
- Dagle JE. 2006. "Using bad data to train good grid dispatchers." Utility Automation & Engineering T&D 11(7):online.
- Dagle JE. 2004. "Data Management Issues Associated with the August 14, 2003 Blackout Investigation." In Power System Dynamic Performance Committee Panel Session IEEE Power Eengineering Society General Meeting, vol. 2, pp. 1680-1684. IEEE Power Engineering Society, New York, NY.
- Hauer JF, and JE Dagle. 1999. Consortium for Electric Reliability Technology Solutions Grid of the Future White Paper on Review of Recent Reliability Issues and Systems Events. PNNL-13150, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory, Richland, WA.